The U.S spends almost $4 Trillion per year on healthcare alone! Isn’t that a significant number? It’s nearly a quarter of all U.S government spending on healthcare. But, it’s also considered to be the most broken sector in the U.S economy. Healthcare costs have gone out of control in recent years. It needs more assistance to revive. Intelligence with no human involvement would do better. Artificial intelligence in healthcare is a part of the healthcare crucial tasks for few years, but that’s not enough.
Artificial intelligence in healthcare brings a tremendous opportunity to reshape the practice of healthcare. It is one of the most critical ways artificial intelligence in healthcare can transform the healthcare industry way too better than the present. The impact is expected to be more profound and far-reaching in healthcare than in any other field.
Let’s check on multiple ways artificial intelligence in healthcare can benefit healthcare professionals.
How does artificial intelligence in healthcare work?
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare can analyze vast amounts of data stored by many healthcare organizations, likely in the form of images, clinical research trials, and medical claims.
- It can also identify patterns and insights that are often not detected by human intelligence.
- Artificial intelligence algorithms are mostly taught to detect or identify label data patterns, while NLP allows these algorithms to isolate relevant data.
- As a help, data is analyzed and interpreted with the help of comprehensive knowledge by computers.
- The impact of AI tools on healthcare and data analysis is unexpected and massive. This conclusion was made by considering Frost and Sullivan’s analysis, which indicated that artificial intelligence in healthcare would account for $6.7 billion from the market compared to $811 million in 2015.
- AI in healthcare is helping several stakeholders in the healthcare industry. It’s used by:
- The teams of healthcare professionals, clinicians, data managers, researchers, and those involved in the clinical trials use artificial intelligence to speed up the process of medical coding search and confirmation, crucial in conducting and concluding clinical studies.
- Healthcare insurance companies have got a chance to personalize their healthcare plans by connecting a virtual agent through conversational AI with members who are customized and interested in AI solutions.
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare is used by clinicians to customize patient care and dig through the medical data to predict and diagnose the disease or illness ASAP.
Artificial intelligence in healthcare supports medical imaging analysis:
- AI in healthcare is used to create a triage and support clinicians for reviewing images and scans.
- This scenario enables the radiologists and cardiologists to identify the detailed insights that are essential for prioritizing critical cases, avoiding potential errors in reading electronic health records, and establishing more acute diagnoses.
- A clinical study can also result in many data and images required to be notified with a double-check.
- AI algorithms help analyze these data assets at high speed and comparing them to other studies to identify patterns and out-of-sight interconnections.
- This particular process enables medical imaging professionals actually to track very crucial information immediately.
- Detecting the most relevant problems and resolving them with the help of artificial intelligence is possible to present them to radiologists in the summary view.
- It also enables the design of more customized, targeted, and accurate reports used in the diagnostic decision process.
AI can decrease the cost of developing medicines:
- Artificial intelligence is considered a supercomputer used to predict the whole database of the molecular structures with the potential drugs and is effective for various diseases.
- Convolutional neural networks, a technology used to make cars drive automatically was able to predict the binding of small molecules to proteins by analyzing hints from millions of experimental measurements and thousands of protein structures.
- The same convolutional neural networks are used to identify a safe and effective drug candidate from the database searched, which apparently decreases the cost of developing medicine.
- Back in 2015, when there was a disease outbreak of Ebola, Atomwise partnered with IBM and the University of Toronto to screen the top compounds capable of binding to a glycoprotein that prevented the Ebola virus from penetrating cells in an in vivo test.
- Right from the tested compounds, one was selected and used because it acted on other viruses with a similar mechanism of cell penetration.
- This particular AI methodology enabled the development of treatment for Ebola.
Artificial Intelligence analyses unstructured data:
- Healthcare professionals more often stay updated with the latest medical advances that provide quality patient-centered care because of a large amount of healthcare data and medical records.
- The curated biomedical data and EHR by medical units and professionals can be immediately scanned by Machine Learning technologies to provide prompt, reliable answers to clinicians.
- In most cases, the patient’s healthcare data and medical records are stored as complex unstructured data, making it very hard to interpret and access.
- Artificial intelligence can seek to collect, hold, and standardize medical data regardless of the format, assist repetitive tasks, and support healthcare professionals with fast, accurate, tailored treatment plans.
AI aids in complex and consolidated platforms for drug discovery:
- AI algorithms are used to identify new drug applications, tracing their toxic potential and their mechanisms of action.
- It eventually led to Drug Discovery Platform that enables the company to repurpose existing drugs and bio-active compounds.
- Machine Learning tools are especially created to draw insights from biological datasets that can be more complex for human interpretation and decrease the risk for human bias.
- Identification of multiple uses for the drugs can be an appealing strategy, especially for large pharmaceutical companies, and it is less expensive to repurpose and reposition the existing drugs.
AI can forecast kidney disease:
- Acute kidney injury can be tough and rigid to detect and can cause patients to deteriorate very fast and become life-threatening.
- It’s estimated that almost 11% of deaths are reported in a hospital following a failure to identify and treat patients.
- The early prediction and treatment of these cases can, in fact, have a huge impact on reducing life-long treatment and the cost of kidney dialysis.
- Machine Learning tools can also be installed in the medical units. It can help in improving the quality of life and increase life expectancy.
Artificial intelligence in healthcare is essential to improve itself in the future. The Healthcare industry may step into a more extensive plan where technology becomes a priority. Machine Learning implementation is very much needed for medical billing and healthcare to move the tasks in a much easier way.
For more articles on artificial intelligence in healthcare, please subscribe to our blog. Please comment below your ideas, and we shall implement them if relevant and required. Follow us on social media portals to know us better.